Toys "R" Us approached ATM to develop a pilot program featuring the most comprehensive series of digital experiences ever installed in a retail store. The Toys "R" Us Model of the Future program needed to engage customers in new and immersive ways, tie directly to products, increase store activity and drive sales. All elements of the program needed to be implemented for the critical holiday sales period. The program would be an important test of best types of digital interactions.
ATM utilized its full suite of in-house digital services and every digital team to develop and implement 8 different, custom built, digital experiences at over 70 touch points throughout the store.
The Toys R Us Model of the Future featured:
- Newly designed Welcome Wall featuring a product search kiosk tied to specialized store locator software, and a custom featured product display. The Welcome Wall also featured an area for customers to look up and print out their “Wish List” from their own registry.
- A first-of- its-kind 360 degree domed theater featuring custom content from Disney, Nickelodeon, Mattel, LEGO and Hasbro, plus an interactive experience that allowed visitors to color the entire theater based solely on hand gestures. Each experience was 1-2 minutes in duration and was selected via touch screen kiosk designed by ATM.
- 3 custom designed interactive “Magic Mirrors” that allowed shoppers to become Mickey Mouse, Optimus Prime, Leonardo, The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, and Toys R Us’ own Geoffrey the Giraffe. As you approach the mirror the character comes to life and mimics your movements. The Magic Mirror experience used a proprietary software developed by ATM, detailed 3D models designed for each character, and a Kinect sensor.
- 5 Interactive Projection Displays featuring content from Disney, Hasbro, Mattel, LEGO and Nickelodeon. Each display included a 3D projection that mapped over the contours of the display, had a custom background to match the environment for each toy on display, and was fully interactive via Kinect sensors that allowed shoppers to touch the projection to trigger new animations and effects.
- 10 Video End Cap Displays that featured both featured product videos and a customized series of animations of Toys R Us’ Geoffrey the Giraffe.
- 50 Beacons that featured custom audio content tied to a wide variety of products and partners throughout the store. The voice over was scripted and produced by ATM and utilized Toys R Us’ Geoffrey the Giraffe character.
- A newly created “Wishing Well” display that featured docking stations for a custom designed, interactive “Magic Wand” and a large display screen featuring instructions for the Magic Wand via a video produced by ATM. The Wishing Well also had a ATM-designed touch screen kiosk that allowed shoppers to register for a new wish list or select an existing wish list to sync with their magic wand.
- 60 Interactive, Custom Created “Magic Wands.” These rechargeable wands were a new piece of hardware created by ATM featuring electronic capabilities that enabled customers to scan product bar codes onto their own “Wish List” and trigger unique digital experiences via Bluetooth technology at each of the digital displays listed above. The Magic Wand’s were built with auditory, visual and sensory cues that alerted shoppers to the special experiences they could unlock with their Magic Wand. Due to the electronic nature of the Magic Wands they passed FCC testing and due to the use of the wands by children, they passed Child Safety testing as well.
The entire Toys R Us Model of the Future digital experience was tied together by a custom software platform developed by ATM. Each digital experience was also tied together by a graphic design theme created and produced by ATM. Every piece of digital content, every digital display, every kiosk, manufactured display, and the Magic Wands were created, completed, tested, approved and implemented in a span of only 4 months! The number of technologies implemented at one-time was unprecedented and included Unity, Bluetooth technology, beacon technology, touch screen devices, gesture control devices, 3D projection technology, 360 degree technology, and product scanning technology. The results were positive and profound leading to double digit sales increases in the store vs. prior year, a major increase in store activity and visits, and identifying key technologies for roll out to Toys R Us locations.